This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not
that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Water Pressure

I can promise you this:  NEVER again will I take for granted the precious gift of water pressure. Today, for the very first time since arriving in Kitale, I was able to take a shower with actual water pressure. Typically, taking a shower in Kenya (as I'm sure is also the case in most African countries) entails standing under a faucet that is practically dripping water on your head. I'm extremely thankful that we even have shower, but I'm even more grateful that we now have a shower with enough pressure to wash away the thick African dirt.

In regards to temperature- there are two options: freezing cold and scolding hot. You never actually get to choose which temperature you get; instead, I'm convinced there's some supreme shower being that decides how to torture you that day. Okay, there's no supreme shower being, but I still can't figure out why some days when I flip the light switch that heats the water it produces skin-damaging high temperatures and other days it produces body-numbing low temperatures.

I've also grown quite accustomed to our concrete showers.  While I've never been a fan of small spaces, I really have no other option when it comes to showering in our 2 ft. by 2 ft. concrete cave.  Yes, the wall, ceiling and floor are all made of concrete, making it look more like a gas chamber than a shower.  The bugs crawling along the walls do little to help the eerie feeling.

As you've probably already assumed, living in Africa means less showering.  This is perfectly acceptable- after all, we're living in a country were very few people are fortunate enough to have semi-clean water for bathing. Even though you get twice as dirty ten times quicker, it's not considered strange to skip out on shower most days or, for the boys with us, most weeks. You're good to go as long as you wash off your feet when they've suddenly turned a deep shade of red (which is also the case in most African countries).

I don't want to say this to gross you out. I just want you to know that showering is a treat, and showering with water pressure and adjustable temperatures is a luxury. I've certainly learned to count the mere fact that I even have a concrete shower with bizarre temperatures and inconsistent water pressure as an extraordinary privilege and blessing. So next time you hop in the shower, turn it the ideal temperature and experience high water pressure please remember to count it as a blessing! :)

1 comment:

  1. The number of showers I take per week drastically dropped when I switched countries as well!

    ReplyDelete