This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not
that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10

Friday, February 11, 2011

It's not about me...


On the way to the airport I notified my parents that I had finally started my blog.  I went on to tell them how nervous I was about sharing my thoughts with the rest of the world, but within seconds my mom stopped me and said, “Jenny, it’s not about you.  It’s about sharing Oasis of Hope.” She’s so right.  This whole blogging thing is about bringing to light God’s work.  It’s about opening the doors of Oasis of Hope to people all across the world.  It’s about telling others about my amazing God. Why do I let myself get wrapped up in the idea that any of this has to do with me.  It’s not about me.  It’s never been about me.  It’s about God. Thanks, mom, for reminding me that this little thing called life is all about Him because the purpose of my existence is to love my loving Savior.

I think it’s time I tell you a little bit about Oasis of Hope.  This center was started in 2004 by a woman who traveled to Kitale as part of a mission trip.  Kitale is known for its large population of street children who have no parents and are faced with the task of raising themselves.  Could you imagine being in charge keeping yourself alive, and possibly even your siblings, at such a young age?  I can’t.  Oasis of Hope seeks to help these children.  By offering feeding programs, educational courses, vocational training and group homes, this center aims to better these children’s lives in both a physical, intellectual and spiritual manner.  Through Oasis of Hope, street kids in Kitale can obtain a more promising future and more importantly learn about the hope that is found in Jesus Christ.  It is my prayer that each child that walks through the doors at Oasis of Hope will build a personal relationship with Jesus as they experience God’s abundant love.   Please partner with me in this prayer, for we know that every child matters and God longs for each one of them to know his eternal love. 

Now let me share with you a little bit how I got to where I am.  As you know, I spent the last 6 months in Denver working an internship with Operation Christmas Child.  In December, before my time with OCC came to a close, I talked with my parents about what was next for me.  I really felt a calling for me to go and serve somewhere.  I wasn't sure what exactly that meant nor what it would look like, but I knew that I was available and willing to go.  I told my dad that I felt led to look for opportunities to serve missionaries, especially in a third world country, who needed rejuvenation as they do God's work.  Before Christmas, my dad mentioned my thoughts to their missions pastor, Sam Glass, at church and he said that he would think about any opportunities there might be.  Long story short, when I returned to Houston for my LASIK eye surgery at the end of January, my family and I met with Sam and faster than I could think we found a perfect place for me to serve- Kitale, Kenya. Sam’s wife, Missy, has a brother Steve who works for Saddleback Church.  Steve has been doing work in Kitale for years and was very willing to have me come to Kitale to serve. I am so excited about this opportunity to work with Oasis of Hope and other organizations around Kitale for the next four months!  God has repeatedly opened doors that have made this situation possible and an obvious next step in how I am to serve Him.  I have never felt so called to just go and help wherever, whenever and in whatever capacity God wants me too-  I am so anxious to see what God has in store! I am also humbled that He is allowing me to bring the good news of His love to these precious children.  

1 comment:

  1. thank you, sweet friend, for getting out of your comfort zone to spread this word! :)

    ReplyDelete