This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not
that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mama Jude

On Thursday we spent most of our day at Sister Freda’s Medical Center.  I know I’ve already mentioned her work in Kitale, but I can’t tell you how much I love helping at her facilities.  That day we were in the hospital ward visiting with patients.  After being debriefed about the current status of each patient, the doctor took us around to meet all of them.  We finished our tour in Judith’s room where we laid our hands on her, praying for her and all the patients in the hospital.  At that point, Judith was lying in bed barely able to move. 

Later on, I found myself back at Judith’s room talking with her.  Her heart was so beautiful.  In just 30 minutes with her, I could sense the godly wisdom and passion that filled her spirit.  This woman who was barely able to lift her head that morning had more fire for Christ at this point than most people have in their entire lifetime.  I decided I needed to find Jade and Michelle so that they could hear some of what Judith had to say.  We spent another hour or so with Judith, mainly listening to her and soaking in all the wisdom she had to offer. 

Before leaving, Judith asked if we could spend more time together in the future.  I eagerly agreed and we exchanged phone numbers.  It was at this point that Judith told me that most people call her Mama Jude.  Mama Jude? I couldn’t believe it!  Some of you out there know of Mama June.  Mama June is an elderly lady that, throughout my time in college, I have grown very close with.  My weekly visits to a nursing home in Waco with my sorority morphed into a relationship outside of the sorority’s required service hours.  Over the years, Mama June has shared a great deal of wisdom and joy with me and with many others.  What a joyful moment it was to realize that here in Kitale, God was putting another godly woman in my life—only this time her name is Mama Jude.  Now that’s what I call a God-wink! 

No comments:

Post a Comment