This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not
that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10

Saturday, February 26, 2011

the stars at night are big and bright...

Being a native Texan, this song has played an ample role in my life.  It doesn't matter that I've lived most of my life in the Dallas area where stars aren't actually that bright, I've been taught to believe that nothing can outshine the starry sky in Texas.  I'm here to tell you that this is not true! The stars in Africa are muchhh bigger and brighter!  A few nights ago, we were in the midst of making dinner when the electricity went out.  Blackouts are a familiar occurrence here, and surprisingly I never view them as an inconvenience, but more as a fact of life and often times an enjoyable fact of life.  After eating dinner by candlelight, flashlight and headlamp, Michelle and I set out to wash the dishes in the dark.  Standing at the sink, I glanced out the window to see the most amazing night sky.  With every light in and around the city out, the stars were magnificently bright.  I wandered outside and was taken aback by the absolute beauty of the star-filled sky.  Stars have always been a love of mine, and their splendor fascinates me.  Since I was little, I've imagined that stars are the result of millions of tiny holes punched in a large black cloth spread across a vast sky and the light that springs forth from these holes is God's glory seeping from the heavens into my world.  Meaning the beauty I see in the stars is a glimpse, a mere blink, of God's alluring splendor.  The day that I stand in the presence of my God, will be the day that even the beauty of the starriest night will not compare.  But until then, I'll continue to look to the stars and be reminded of His glory.  For the stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Kenya!  

No comments:

Post a Comment